WHAT IS UNCONSCIOUS BIAS? BIAS WE ARE UNAWARE OF THAT HAPPENS OUTSIDE OF OUR CONTROL
THE MAIN DIFFERENCE BETWEEN UNCONSCIOUS AND CONSCIOUS ATTITUDES IS INTENTION
Unconscious Bias is a stereotype that has been formed in our brains through different influences we many times have no control over. Our instinctive feelings can overcome our rational thoughts. We control our conscious beliefs about race, gender, and age – while unconscious bias forms below the surface of our conscious awareness.
Discussions and exercises will include ways to identify and manage unconscious bias.
UNCONSCIOUS BIAS IMPACTS OUR DECISION-MAKING PROCESS
When it comes to people, we consider:
- How we see people and perceive them
- How we react to people
- Are we receptive/friendly
- Our level of attention
- Are we listening to the person
- Our micro-affirmations
Objectives of the Unconscious Bias workshop include:
- Define unconscious bias; explore where it comes from and how it differs from conscious beliefs
- Identify how unconscious bias is observed and discover potential biases to increase self-awareness
- Gain practice with tools that can help manage unconscious bias in support of organizational objectives